Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Simply Facsinating!

Just a quick post to say I'm not dead, our family is not at war, and things are just slowly moving along.

I've been keeping busy making baby blankets, hooded towels and headbands for many friends and family members that I adore. Funny, this task totally sucked a few weeks ago, but now that I get to do them on my time with no baby shower deadlines, I'm finding them much easier to complete. Besides- I truly do love giving them. And I look at it as being able to practice for when I finally get to make them for our baby, right? Who knows, maybe by then I will be able to do them with my eyes closed! If not, I'll at least be able to whip them out quickly for friends.

Also, I've been reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. LJ asked if I would buy The Lightening Thief for her. I love that she craves new material to read, but I get nervous if it is a book I am unfamiliar with. If that is the case, I will read it first. I'm reading the 4th book now, and I think they are good. Good, not great. I have decided that they are a bit mature for my little second-grade LJ. Perhaps next year she will be ready for them. It's hard to say "no" when her requests have to do with reading, but sometimes content can be surprising.

Has anyone else read them? If so, did any of you notice the similarities between these books and Harry Potter? Just curious. Maybe I think too much. LOL

Anyway, that's my sad attempt at an update. Hopefully I'll think of something interesting to divulge later.

2 comments:

Mrs. Gamgee said...

The Percy Jackson series definitely has Harry Potter overtones. But he does a pretty ok job creating his world tho (avoid the movie at all costs). I agree that they are probably a bit much for a second grader. It's tough at that age to find age appropriate books that still meet their interests and reading level. I'll keep my eyes open for something in that genre that might work.

AnxiousMummyto3 said...

I haven't actually read that series, but I think you're a great mother to pre-read her books. There is so much kids are exposed to that is too old for them. I read a lot of inappropriate-for-my-age books when I was a kid-Dracula and Stephen King at 12!! I didn't really get them though. Anyway the blankets sound great. It will be an awesome skill to use when your little treasure comes along!!
xx